Sunday, September 12, 2010

Cleveland ROCKS!




I HAVE done a new thing every week since my last update, but some of the new things I cannot write about on the internetJ And now that I am behind, I’ll just start with this week. A work trip brought me to Cleveland, Ohio. Instead of staying in my room and ordering room service, like I wanted to, I forced myself to go explore. And I am very happy I did! While kind of dirty, the buildings are tall, pretty, and somewhat reminiscent of Detroit. In a good way. I am in the theater district, so stopped by a theater to see what was playing. No plays, but a free showing of “West Side Story.” Free movie in a pretty, old theater? Of course I am game! There was even a fun old-style candy counter! Which meant I had to buy some candy, of course. Somehow I have made it 31 years of my life without knowing anything about West Side Story, and I’d say I am the only one. After two hours, I came away with the following conclusions:

1. Do not clap, snap your fingers, or sing along to a movie unless you are at your house. It’s weird. Especially because no one who is doing the acting or singing can hear you. The movie starts, and people just start snapping their fingers in the audience. Weird.

2. Whoever made West Side Story did not know how to play basketball. The basketball scene made me sad. If you’ve seen it, you know what I am talking about.

Yes, I judged people. And no, I don’t feel bad about it.

I really liked the movie, and felt a little cultured. I can’t believe I never knew anything about it until today. I also found out Cleveland is second to NYC in revenue generated from theater. Who would have thought? Thanks, Cleveland!

1 comment:

Mary and Jake said...

HAHA you make me laugh. so hard. I love that you saw west side story for the first time! Did they use peach baskets for the hoops in the basketball scene? That would make them old timers.

I'm glad you always find something fun to do... I love that about you!