

This week was chock-full of new things! In the interests of efficiency, I’ll start from the top:
New thing #1: Cleveland, Ohio
If you remember from last week, I was in Cleveland for a work training on how to be an effective instructor. We all know Cleveland has a less-than-stellar reputation. Ever heard of the joke from Henny Youngman, “I spent a week in Cleveland one night ?” Or the phrase “the mistake by the Lake?” And after spending a week there, I think Cleveland has a wholly undeserved reputation. I spent most of the nights working, but one night we went to a restaurant with a live band and great Cajun food. Now, Cleveland is not New York City. It never will be. And my hotel had torn wall paper, and smelled less than desirable. But I am going to overlook those things and appreciate Cleveland for its pretty skyline, pretty lakeside, plethora of professional sports teams, and variety of restaurants. And perhaps most importantly, its efficient airport. Hands down, the most efficient I’ve been in. The taxi service had my location printed out and I was in a cab in less than five minutes. That enough is reason to enjoy traveling through Cleveland. And for those of you who feel like I am perhaps stretching with the last reason, perhaps..
New thing #2: Pittsburgh, PA
Jacko alerted me of a city fairly equidistant to Cleveland and his house in Frederick, MD: Pittsburgh, PA. Even better, neither of us had ever been there. Perfect! I rented a car and drove a few hours to see Jacko for the weekend. I have not had such a fun weekend in a long time!
New thing #2a: Kennywood
Kennywood is an amusement park close to Pittsburgh that seems to just be set in the middle of a bunch of residential neighborhoods. Odd, but we had to check it out. We were very pleasantly surprised! Smaller roller coasters than Cedar Point, but a lot of fun. Plus the weather was cold enough to ward off too many people from wearing inappropriately small clothing, something we both appreciated.
New thing #2b: Pittsburgh Pirates game
I’ve been to a few major league baseball games before, but never a Pirates game! Apparently they have the worst losing streak in the nation, but it was really a fun game! Jacko scored great seats; right behind home plate. The field overlooked the Pittsburgh skyline, including the pedestrian bridge we had to walk over to get to the game. The game was followed by the best fireworks display I’ve ever seen!! It was also the first time I’ve seen fireworks set to the Cookie Monster song, but there’s a first time for everything :)
New thing #1: Cleveland, Ohio
If you remember from last week, I was in Cleveland for a work training on how to be an effective instructor. We all know Cleveland has a less-than-stellar reputation. Ever heard of the joke from Henny Youngman, “I spent a week in Cleveland one night ?” Or the phrase “the mistake by the Lake?” And after spending a week there, I think Cleveland has a wholly undeserved reputation. I spent most of the nights working, but one night we went to a restaurant with a live band and great Cajun food. Now, Cleveland is not New York City. It never will be. And my hotel had torn wall paper, and smelled less than desirable. But I am going to overlook those things and appreciate Cleveland for its pretty skyline, pretty lakeside, plethora of professional sports teams, and variety of restaurants. And perhaps most importantly, its efficient airport. Hands down, the most efficient I’ve been in. The taxi service had my location printed out and I was in a cab in less than five minutes. That enough is reason to enjoy traveling through Cleveland. And for those of you who feel like I am perhaps stretching with the last reason, perhaps..
New thing #2: Pittsburgh, PA
Jacko alerted me of a city fairly equidistant to Cleveland and his house in Frederick, MD: Pittsburgh, PA. Even better, neither of us had ever been there. Perfect! I rented a car and drove a few hours to see Jacko for the weekend. I have not had such a fun weekend in a long time!
New thing #2a: Kennywood
Kennywood is an amusement park close to Pittsburgh that seems to just be set in the middle of a bunch of residential neighborhoods. Odd, but we had to check it out. We were very pleasantly surprised! Smaller roller coasters than Cedar Point, but a lot of fun. Plus the weather was cold enough to ward off too many people from wearing inappropriately small clothing, something we both appreciated.
New thing #2b: Pittsburgh Pirates game
I’ve been to a few major league baseball games before, but never a Pirates game! Apparently they have the worst losing streak in the nation, but it was really a fun game! Jacko scored great seats; right behind home plate. The field overlooked the Pittsburgh skyline, including the pedestrian bridge we had to walk over to get to the game. The game was followed by the best fireworks display I’ve ever seen!! It was also the first time I’ve seen fireworks set to the Cookie Monster song, but there’s a first time for everything :)
New thing #2c: Primanti Brothers Sandwich
There is a legendary sandwich in Pittsburgh called the Primanti Brothers sandwich. It has coleslaw, cheesesteak, French fries, and cheese sandwiched between two huge pieces of bread. Of course we had to try it. We planned on buying one and splitting it, but somehow we both got one, along with a huge order of fries. I don’t know how these things happen. You have to try the sandwich at least once, but I was disappointed—it didn’t have much flavor!! I found out afterwards we ordered the “#2 most popular sandwich,” so perhaps #1 is a lot better.
Overall, I really liked Pittsburgh. The traffic was horrible any time we went anywhere, but it really has a lot of redeeming qualities. The city has a “gritty” or “blue-collar” feel, which was a nice change from the Southwest. There is a lot of water, and Pittsburgh has the most bridges of any city in the world: 436. Gorgeous bridges, a pretty riverwalk, and lots of great restaurants. And perhaps the most important mitigating factor about Pittsburgh: the highest ice cream consumption in the nation per person. I highly recommend a visit!
1 comment:
I just thought I'd point out that this post was written in September and it's now February. Your fans are waiting . . .
Post a Comment